Registering for your baby shower is such a fun time! Whether you go with your husband/significant other or even with some girlfriends. Regardless, it’s a blast!
Wherever you choose to register, most likely they will be giving you a checklist of items that you are going to “NEED” for your new baby. As a new mom you want all the latest, hottest new gadgets out there. They need the best of everything. You will ignore all the veteran mommies out there telling you that you don’t need this or that. Well, I’m here to tell you those moms are RIGHT.
I teamed up with Holly from the blog HollyBBaking and we came up with the top 10 things you can cross off that checklist!
- Baby Food Maker– With products on the market that make it seem so simple to make your own baby food like the Baby Bullet or Baby Breeza, you might think you need them. However, if you own a food processor or a blender, you’re all set. That’s all that those baby food makers really are. Don’t crowd up your cabinets with another unnecessary appliances.
- Wipe Warmer- Our personal thoughts on this are simple. When you’re out in public you won’t have the wipe warmer with you so why get them used to the wipes being warm at home when they will be cold elsewhere?
- “Fancy” bath tub- I, of course had to register for the most expensive, fancy bath tub there was out there that was basically like a mini Jacuzzi tub. It is impractical, cheaply made, bulky and we’ve used it twice. SIMPLE IS BETTER. Always.
- Outfits, Shoes, Socks, Etc.– First off, people are going to buy you these things regardless. A lot of people just throw in an outfit in with their gift. But as a newborn till about four or five months, these fancy outfits are just impractical. Of course vests and zip up jackets are super cute, but they aren’t very comfy on baby. Same with shoes, they look cute but don’t stay on! Our opinion is comfy pajamas are the way to go!
- Bottle warmer– Both Holly and I own bottle warmers and never have used them. I personally nurse my baby and whenever my husband or mom have to heat up a bottle they use the old school, never fail method by running the bottle under warm water in the sink. It’s that easy.
- Bottle sterilizer- Soap and water my friends, that is all you need. Holly and I both put our bottles in the dishwasher and they get plenty clean!
- Baby food storage containers- You guys… go to the dollar store and pick up a couple ice cube trays. Make your baby food, pour into the trays, pop into the freezer overnight. In the morning pop them out of the trays into the gallon size Ziploc bags and there you go! For a couple dollars your frozen baby food is made and stored in a very easy convenient way!
- Bath thermometer- This is not rocket science people! Reach down into the water and feel it… if it’s too hot for you, it’s too hot for baby.
- Baby sized towels- For the first two months or so these are the perfect size for baby, but after that they are too small to wrap around your whole baby. We just use our regular bath towels.
- Baby food steamer- I thought I had to have this. I’m not sure why I thought this. Probably because the product looks so cute and innovative. After using it three times, I realized how impractical it was. It can only fit a small amount of food inside of it. If you are like me and like to make a large amount of baby food and then freeze it, it would take you hours to make large batches. Your best bet is to steam it on the stove how you normally would steam veggies for yourself, or in the microwave in the steam bags!
So grab that baby registry check list and cross these items off! You’ll be glad you did! Remember… SIMPLE IS ALWAYS BETTER!
Go check out this awesome mama’s blog, Holly who helped me create this list! She has some great posts on natural living, baby and delicious recipes!